Senior Software Engineer - Platform
At RVU, we have the best of both worlds: the excitement of a start-up and the strength of well-established, trusted household names.
- Uswitch is the UK’s top comparison website for home services switching helping consumers save money on their gas, electricity, broadband, TV and phone.
- Money is one of the UK’s leading comparison websites for financial services. Consumers can compare loans, credit cards, bank accounts and insurance from more than 600 providers.
- Bankrate and saveonenergy.com (launched in 2018 and 2019 respectively) are fast establishing themselves as innovative, consumer-centric websites that will help propel our future growth.
Together, we are RVU. Together, we have the power to reach consumers across the UK, and the technology to give them a world class online experience.
Our purpose is to simplify complex marketplaces with intuitive and accessible products that genuinely improve people’s lives. Saving a few hundred pounds a year on bills makes a fundamental difference to vulnerable people who sometimes have to choose between paying for utilities or groceries. We have saved UK families over £1B off their household bills, we are the single largest Energy and Broadband comparison service and we aim to be number 1 across our remaining products.
Our platforms serve millions of users a month, process thousands of comparisons a day, and drive hundreds of complex integrations with vastly different partners. We’re a tech-driven business that focuses on outcomes over output using low ceremony agile delivery and cross functional teams.
We are creating the next generation of comparison platforms, we are looking for passionate, technical and empathetic engineers to build highly performant and flexible systems that enable us to expand into new markets and our product teams to focus on delighting our customers.
What you might be working on:
- Working with multiple teams to deliver product API’s that power comparison journeys across brands (Uswitch, money.co.uk, bankrate)
- Working in conjunction with analysts to develop and refine Uswitch’s data strategy, helping understand what our data should look like and how we surface it responsibly
- Building the next generation of abstractions for how Uswitch integrates with third parties to ingest product data, transactional updates and using those abstractions to inform LTV and other estimation models
- Working with the business operations teams in Commercial, Marketing, Finance and Product to deliver internal applications to help them run some of UKs best comparison sites
- Working with multiple other teams to help drive consumer personalisation and wider Uswitch initiatives;
- Tech stack: working with Clojure, Go, Elixir, GraphQL and deploying to Kubernetes and AWS monitored with Prometheus, Grafana, Sentry
- Day to day you would be working directly with stakeholders in commercial, marketing, finance, web and compliance. Working with them and the product owner to achieve the desired outcomes in a pragmatic fashion. Shipping code. Making your work visible in tools like Trello. Participating in team planning and continual improvement
We pride ourselves in delivering accessible, performant, and functional experiences to our consumers, hopefully you do too.
The things we look for in you:
- You want to grow within your career and are looking for a place that lets you have immediate, meaningful impact - we deploy up to 150 times a day
- Care about abstractions, API design and data strategy - without our data we wouldn’t have a business
- Passionate about performance and data
- Pragmatic solutions to business problems that start at requirements gathering and end in delivering value
- Have had experience or want to have experience working in diverse, cross functional agile teams - we value people that want to push themselves into unknown territories
- Want to be involved in the larger engineering community, and contribute back to that community through open source projects and conferences
- Understand that technology is a tool and changes over time requiring continual learning and mastery, always bringing new ideas to the table
- Have a deep understanding of system design and the surrounding architecture
- We aren’t wedded to languages, but you should know how an application works for a customer :)
- Previous experience in distributed and event based systems
- Can produce robust systems, experienced in defensive coding and understanding handling of failure modes, monitoring and owning production systems
What we’ll give back to you:
We want to give you a great work environment; contribute back to both your personal and professional development; and give you great benefits to make your time at uSwitch even more enjoyable. Some of these benefits include:
- A competitive salary and bonus package
- A healthy learning and training budget, as well as the chance to go to conferences around the world every year
- The latest equipment - be it a Linux or Apple or Windows machine
- Free breakfast, healthy snacks, coffee and soft drinks
- Paid parental leave for those key moments in your life
- We have lots of other great benefits within the business, these are just a few of them
- Health insurance
- Moving day off, birthday day off, charitable day off
- In office gym and pilates + yoga classes
- Flexi holiday policy
- Bike to work scheme
- Season ticket loans for those long commutes
- Employer matching pension up to 7.5%
- 1 month full paid paternity leave to spend more time with the kids
- Attractive maternity leave policy
- We also want to help you with your life events, so offer interest free loans for special moments in your life like moving home, buying your first home and your wedding